Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

40 days of yoga...one day at a time. Week One

Day 1: Saturday, October 27th.  8 a.m. Hatha with Beverly. Catherine came with me.

An easy entry into what could be a long physical hall.  Mostly stretching, nothing too challenging.  Hips tight afterward, but my good old foam roller and a hot bath helped with that.

Day 2: Sunday, October 28th.  9:30 a.m. Hatha with Dan

A challenging class for me, but feel good.  I remember going to one of Dan's classes a long time ago as he loves 'flow' yoga.  Moving the whole class, one pose to the next.  Challenging because it was hot (as every mat in the room was full) and because it had a lot of arm and shoulder work.  My arms are not very strong, and I had to put them down during a few poses.  I liked the mix during the flow though.  I would like to learn chataranga the proper way, as Dan said your hips never touch and that is not the way I have done it in other classes.  My hamstrings are very tight where they connect to the knee...hoping that they loosen up and that I don't pull them.  Body tired, but feeling good.  My breathing can go deeper and feels better too.

Day 3: Monday, October 29
8:30 p.m. Yin with Joan; Thea came with me

It was really nice to have a later class so that I could take my time to do things such as visit Carrie, Derran and Austen after work first.  The class itself felt WAY too easy for me.  I could see how I might really want this class after a few weeks of the challenge, but the slow, long stretches were a bit boring for me.  I'm sure they helped my body, but I was just hoping for a bit more.  It was good to try anyway.  It was also my first class in a long time  not at Sea studio, so I forgot about the hard floors as Sea has carpet.  I think I like the carpet better for my knees and other bony bits.  It was beautiful when the rain hit the roof of the studio, though...so calming!

Day 4: Tuesday, October 30th
12-1:15pm at Kits Beach Studio with Carolyn

Again, not a big fan of the studio, with it's large windows right along the sidewalk...felt a little self-conscious.  The level of the yoga and the mix of both stretch and strengthen was great.  I really liked this instructor.  My upper body feels  much looser and lighter, and my groin feels much looser as well.  I was worried about pulling my hamstrings, but today's class seemed to work out some of the tightness that I thought might turn into pulled muscles.  VERY happy about that.  My shoulders are feeling like they are back more where they should be too.  Good class.

Day 5: Wednesday, October 31st

Didn't end up going.  Between making sure Kai got out trick or treating and a bad migraine, I listened to my body telling me to sleep in a dark room.  Glad I listened.

Day 6: Thursday, November 1st
5:45pm Hatha with Bernie

So many lessons were learned this day...Usually I take Kai to his 5pm hip hop class in Burnaby, so an early class wouldn't be available to me, and a late one wasn't an option tonight either as Marc was out.  Luckily Kelly offered to meet us at Kai's hip hop and bring him home so I could do this class.  It all sounded ideal, except I hadn't considered traffic.  I spent the whole hour drive (who knew it would take SO long), talking myself down.  "Yoga is supposed to be peaceful, and you're on your way to yoga, so just take a deep breath."  "I know the car hasn't moved hardly at all in three light changes, but everything happens for a purpose.  It will all work out."

Needless to say, I arrived at class 10 minutes late, but still quietly went in and joined the class.  I am SO glad I went.  Bernie was relaxed, funny, and kept making jokes about all the movies that the poses reminded him of - Karate Kid, Spiderman... My body felt great, the mood in the room was playful, and the class was over before I  knew it.

So my learnings this class?  It is better to arrive late than not at all.  And on the yoga front, if I put my hands closer to my feet during downward dog, it focuses on stretching the lower legs.  Hands farther away works on arm strengthening.  Thus, little changes can make a big difference.

Day 7: Friday, November 2nd
7 pm Yin with Whit.  Damiani came with me

I'm not going to lie, I was not looking forward to this class.  I was looking forward to spending time with D, but after the slow-moving, uninspiring Yin class on Monday, I wasn't sure what I was going to get out of Yin.  I was pleasantly surprised by Whit and the spiritual connection he brought to the practice.  He clearly explained the core beliefs and guidelines of the practice, making connections with his own story, writings of others, and opened up ways for us to bring our own heart into the evening and beyond.  He talked us through each pose, read meaningful passages to bring us back to listening to our bodies, and took us to our limits without pushing through them.  He shared with us about the hips being the emotional junk drawer of the body, where we hold unexpressed and closed off emotions, and the importance of opening up both our bodies and our hearts.  I left the class feeling very informed, well opened and joyful.  A great night to end week one on!


No comments:

Post a Comment