Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Stitch by Stitch...

I will learn to sew, again.  My most poignant memory of sewing is from when I was in elementary school.  My Great Grandma Dot was visiting, as she did (in my recollection) about once a year.  She packed up her old beater truck and came out west.  She was a great character who had so much to teach, if only I would have been a better student.  So back to my memory...I came home from school with my best friend Sherry and was ready to play.  However, Grandma Dot was visiting, which always meant that I practiced a homemaking skill before playing.  Sometimes it was ironing, but often it was sewing.  I am pretty sure electric sewing machines existed then, but we had the old fashioned treadle sewing machine.  I have a vivid memory of the leather belt on the wheel.  I believe I even learned how to change the belt.

I imagine that I practiced sewing straight lines, but I cannot recall the projects, just the daily after-school practice.

So, I begin again and think of my Grandma Dot as I press the foot pedal on my electric sewing machine and practice sewing straight lines and test out the variety of stitch patterns that my machine offers with the turn of a dial.  I hope my son understands the importance of learning such skills from loved ones more than I did when I was a child.  For now I return to the daily lessons of years passed and memories cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment