Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kai at 2 years 11 months

It seems like I'm writing about Kai so often...he is changing so fast and I want to record as much as I can, as my memory for details is not the greatest.  Anyhow, here goes another month:

1.  Mimicking...he constantly follows other children around, mostly older ones, and copies what they are saying and doing.  So far, it has mostly been positive learning, and he hasn't picked up any crazy words or terrible actions yet, so this is a fun stage.  It is helping to expand his imagination and is pushing him to learn new skills such as . . .

2.  Run biking...a few months ago my parents bought Kai a Kazam run bike.  Being a typical B.C. season, there has been a lot of rain and so he didn't get much practice time in until my summer vacation began.  He began slowly, straddling but still walking the bike.  In the past few weeks, thanks to copying Claire, Reiko and Finn, he is finally getting some speed and confidence now and I can almost walk at a natural pace.  On our trip to Tofino, he even went on a few forest trails!  I can see why these bikes lead to two-wheelers without training wheels so quickly.




3.  Choral reading...Kai is working so hard to read books and sing the correct words to songs.  When reading a story or poem, he 'reads along', with all his words a few steps behind mine.  It is incredible that he is able to repeat words and listen for the next ones at the same time.  I have taken to reading four or five words at once and pause as he reads along.  Being my first time seeing this reading progression, as a teacher and parent, I find it fascinating.  A classic and consistent example of his efforts to memorize are in his attempts to learn the words to Oh Canada.  He now knows four or five lines by heart, and we practice often. 

4.  "Hold my hand, Mommy!"  How I love these words.  Since summer vacation began, Kai has begun taking naps again at home.  We cuddle up on the couch together, pull a blanket on and as he begins to fall asleep, he makes sure that he is holding my hand.  I'm not sure if it is for comfort or to make sure I do not go anywhere, but it melts my heart every time.

5.  Wearing his superhero cape...finally!  For Christmas last year, I sewed Kai a cape with the Batman logo on one side and the Superman logo on the other.  When he opened it, he had no idea what it was and cast it aside to open other gifts.  I almost gave it away as I thought it might be getting too small, when low and behold, he started wearing it.  He has been known to wear it on walks to the park and shopping trips.  Thank you...

6.  Story-telling...his creativity is flourishing, and not only does he retell real events that happened, but he makes up intricate stories based on what he sees and his current knowledge set.  I intend to post his 'Boating with Canteloupe and Strawberry', so check it out!

7.  Sharing...he has finally grasped the concept of sharing of his own free will.  He is freely sharing his toys and food, and expects others to do the same.  A prime example is at dinner time when he shares a piece of his dinner with me, and then comes to sit in my chair with me, proceeding to help me with my dinner.  However, Kai still does not like it when people take things from him...he needs to offer to share first.

8.  Running clothes...in June, we bought my dad some running socks for his birthday.  Since then, Kai insists upon wearing his running clothes.  We bought him some 'running socks'  (aka. short white cottons socks, in order that he doesn't have black robot socks on with every outfit), and he has designated track pants and cotton shorts as his running shorts.  Every day Kai must be wearing his running pants/shorts/socks.  He refuses button-up shirts and nice pants...not trendy, but comfortable, my boy is. :)

9.  Rules...Kai is really trying to figure out the rules and wants to make sure everyone follows them.  A classic example is taking off our shoes when we enter the house.  If Marc wears his in, he looks at me shocked and says, "Daddy is wearing his shoes in the house!" and turns to Marc with, "Daddy, take your shoes off." in a tone of reproval. 
Recently at Stanley Park, my sister Kelly and I had been trying to teach Kai to walk on one side of the seawall paths, as bikes and rollerblades go on the other.  Later in the day he saw a little girl peddling her tricycle slowing in the walking lane and was quite concerned that she was on the wrong side.  It makes you think about all the rules and exceptions for each one...how confusing to learn!

10.  Affectionate.  Daily hugs, kisses, cuddles and handholding.  I love this phase!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post - soooooo much easier than those old-fashioned baby books that never got filled out (as you can attest to:) Sounds like you had a great time at Tofino. Can't wait to see you later in the week.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete