Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why I Teach

I love my job, but by June the days seem too long and the students loud.  We are all ready for the break and to play outside more.  So when, on the last day of school, I get a heartfelt thank you, relief sets in.  I really did do something to make a difference.  In June it rarely feels this way.

During my graduate work, I really came to appreciate and believe in the effectiveness of keeping students in your class for multiple years.  Not all students, but for many I believe it can be highly beneficial.  So this year I kept three of my students.  I have no doubt it was the best for all of us.  But on the last day of school, after the bell had rung, I knew it was not only me who thought so.  It wasn't merely the words he spoke, but the expression of appreciation on his face and in his hug.  (And if you know 6th grade boys, hugs are hard to come by.)  He joked about assigning him to sixth grade again, but if I could have kept him another year, I truly would have in a heartbeat.  It is these moments that tie me not to my job, but rather to my vocation.  I love what I do.  And even on long June afternoons I will forever remember the power of creating positive relationships with my 'kids'.  Thank you K. for all you said and didn't say.

No comments:

Post a Comment