Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Winter Joy Calendar

Yes, I know.  It is just like me to try to schedule in joy.  However, I love this season so much that there are things I want to make sure to do and to experience.  In fact, maybe I will try to do this kind of list for every season.  Will we get to them all?  Probably not.  I do value calm and downtime as much as (or maybe often more than) the next person, but I like to have options.  So here are some activities I will put on my list in no particular order.

Giving

1. Donate pyjamas to Dr. Janelle's yearly Pyjama Drive in coordination with the Lower Mainland Christmas Bureau.  To read more about it, go to http://www.mainstchiropractic.ca/pyjama-drive
Pyjama Drive

2. Put together a Christmas gift basket to a family in need through Cedar Cottage Neighbourhood House.

3.  Make cookies/treats to take to the people who work Christmas Eve to help people in need.  For example, the hospital emergency room, the fire hall, the ambulance hall or the police station.

Making

1.  Make baking in a jar gifts.  For example, this year we are making Cowboy Cookies in a Jar.  You can find some great ideas here: http://theartofsimple.net/17-last-minute-gift-ideas-from-your-pantry/

2.  Participate in our yearly cookie exchange the first weekend in December.


3.  Create our yearly Christmas tree ornament.  I hope to begin a new tradition this year with the kids making an ornament every year that will then go in a box for them to take when they move away from home.

Having Fun

1.  Toboganning at Cypress Mountain with friends and family.



2. Weekly Friday night movie nights.  We will start tomorrow night with the Polar Express.  In the future I hope to watch this the Friday before we...

3.  Go on the Polar Express in Squamish.  I didn't hear about this until too late this year, so will try to book earlier next year.

4.  Continue our yearly family tradition of Bright Nights in Stanley Park.

5.  Snowshoeing.


Learning

1.  Even though I am not religious, I would like Santa Claus to have a little more meaning that someone who brings presents.  So I think I will incorporate St. Nicholas on December 6th next year.  See this blog for more information: http://theartofsimple.net/st-nicholas-the-real-santa-claus/

Any winter fun you have that we may love too?

No comments:

Post a Comment