Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Beginning of Year 36

It is strange to think that, if statistics are true, I have not yet lived even half my life.  Canadian women live on average to be 82.9 years old.  My Nanny turned 89 this year, so the family genes are in my favour as well.  Yesterday was my 35th birthday.  Is my life where I thought it would be?  Who knows...the only 'plan' I ever had in terms of years was that I was going to be married and have a child by the age of 26.  Oops, only 3 years and 5 years off respectively.  Not bad.

Birthdays in my family have always been cause for celebration, as have Christmases, Thanksgivings, and every other holiday that gives us an excuse to get together.  I also happen to feel that everybody needs a day of recognition.  It is not about the presents, cake or cards (though most of us do love those too), but rather that we take a moment's pause to think about what it is about a person that makes him or her special to us.  As the old adage goes, "It's the thought that counts."  Well, the thought that is shared, that is.

The reality is that most of us do not share 'warm fuzzies' (yes, I teach elementary school) on a regular basis.  We expect others to know what we mean to them.  Fair enough, actions are important.  But can something be truly known unless it is somehow put into words and shared with others?  I suppose if we had a strong history of passing down knowledge and information to others, words would not be of so much importance.  However, as much as technology does to improve communication and knowledge sharing worldwide, it also distances us from each other.  How often do I 'catch up' with my friends and family through email, or more recently, Facebook?  It is convenient, yes, but our technology-assisted conversations are so much briefer  and less rich.  I know more about people's 'statistics', but less about who they are and what they believe.

I have recently read a chapter written by Margaret Wheatley called Turning to One Another:  simple conversations to restore hope to the future.  Wheatley starts off her chapter simple processes with the following assertion: “Many of us would like to simplify our lives, and life in general.  Yet I notice how difficult it is to accept and believe in simple solutions and processes.  Everything has become quite complicated.” (p. 20).  To begin my 36th year, I would like to have more of these simple conversations.  To become reacquainted with the people in my life, in person.  To spend less time with 'busy work' and more time in the same space with my friends and family.  Taking walks.  Playing games.  Eating together.  Having tea.  To begin my 36th year, I would love to get together with you.  Are you free?

2 comments:

  1. I love your principal behind this entry Christine! Keep writing from the heart girl, we're reading, and better yet, listening and getting inspired :) Check out my blog I've been writing it since I began living, working and traveling Europe from 2008, although only made one entry this year.
    http://carlee55.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the principal behind this entry christine! keep writing from the heart x check out my travel blog sometime...

    ReplyDelete