Welcome!

Every night I go to bed, I have thoughts swirling in my head. Things to do. Scrapbook pages I want to create. Gifts I want to make. Skills I want to learn. And, of course, daily happenings that I don't want to forget, but invariably will by tomorrow morning, only to pop up in a random thought weeks down the road. So, here I am. I may use this blog daily to empty my head and heart before cuddling up in my duvet, or as it may be, I may write in it once a month. Who knows. It is for me, but perhaps something I write or learn may spark a fire in someone else. Perhaps it may quiet a mind or make you feel like you are not alone out there. It is for me. But perhaps it is for you.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

In the Moment Part 2...School Children

I love my job. This week we have had so much fun together and explored roads I have not yet traveled in my teaching career. In a previous post, I shared about our adventures with the visual journal, and how exciting is has been to simply learn about and play with a variety of media. This week we have been continuing to explore self-expression through poetry and have spend time in the forest outside our classroom observing Autumn in it's glory. This quiet time outside is also part of us learning about mindfulness, becoming aware of ourselves and our surroundings, especially as a tool to bring calm to our hearts and minds. We have had incredible conversations, which as adults we don't make time for near enough.

As part of the incredible learning my students have been doing, yesterday we became excited about the possibilities of documenting Autumn not only through our writing and sharing, but also through a new artistic format: photography. While we are still working out the logistics (although I learned that every single one of my students has access to a camera at home, most of them their own), we do know that we would like to capture all aspects of this season to which our five senses are becoming more attuned, from the veins on a fallen leaf to the sounds of children playing in the crisp air. How lucky I am to be in a profession where I am able to encourage children to pursue their passions, and to be part of that process.

1 comment:

  1. I was JUST thinking about doing something with cameras at school! I haven't thought out what I would like to do with them yet, but pictures are such a big part of my life, it would be nice to be able to share it. That is great that so many of your kids have access to a camera that they would be able to bring to school!

    ReplyDelete